Sunday, October 30, 2005

Light at the end of the tunnel?

I wrote the following letter to friends and family on the indictment of “Scooter” Libby for his involvement in Plamegate.

-----
Patrick Fitzgerald brought tears to my eyes today...I don't know if you can appreciate how tormented I've been these last several years...

And here was this knight in shining armor...his strong, Irish face showing the same resolve and determination as my daughters...

I was grateful to know that either of my girls would behave in much the same way as Fitzgerald...and I know that's not an easy place to be...

Fitzgerald is a Republican (you can tell by his red tie -- only kidding), and he is being tasked with doing an in-depth investigation of men in his party...

I'm stunned by this turn of events...I thought it would never happen...

AND Fitzgerald said: it's not over...

All I've thought of these last several years was the unprotected place my kids are in...just by having jobs in which they protect our country...

Will our country protect them if it comes to that? Will they have the proper body armor?

Will they be put in harm's way as the result of fat, old, rich men interested only in adding to their wealth?

Will they be put in harm's way as the result of America's behavior around the world?

And on and on...

I feel as though a giant boulder has been lifted from my shoulders...and who better to do it than a young man whose name I sincerely hope goes down in our history books as the person who finally untangled the terrible web spun around our democracy...

Finally, it is being acknowledged: THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES!