Sunday, January 28, 2018

Please cross fingers for my dad, friends!

Dear ones, I haven't blawgged since New Year's because, first, my volunteer activities got in the way; then, the week before MLK Jr Day, my dad's health became an issue.

My beloved dad--my favorite companion and "partner in crime" in political activism--came down with a respiratory infection and a urinary tract infection that brought us to the ER. After the mandatory three-midnight stay in the hospital for antibiotics and to justify Medicare covering his rehab, my dad started doing a lot better medically and was discharged to a rehab facility to get his muscle strength back.

Well, my dad's cough returned with a vengeance yesterday. I suspect he needs another round of antibiotics--the same thing happened to me last winter, but I'm 30 years younger than he is and thus have a more robust immune system. I will try to make everything he needs to have happen happen remotely while I am at work this week, but I'll bear down on these people like a Sherman tank if they don't cooperate haste post haste.

Please cross your fingers for my dad that we can nip this in the bud before we end up back in the hospital and then another 3-4 weeks of fucking rehab. Yes, it's not a break for me because I split my time between work and the rehab. Last time, I lost way too much weight; this time, I am losing way too much sleep. I had to telework Thursday and take Friday off just to finally get three hot meals at home and get enough sleep to be able to drive safely.

Yes, I am worried. But, if I have anything to say about it, my dad will be good as new and home watching Star Trek and Batman and Wonder Woman and Columbo with me in two weeks...after I take him to Outback for a nice, celebratory steak dinner.

After all, it wouldn't do for the folks in all the stores we frequent to have to keep asking how my dad is when they'd rather say hey to him themselves. You might say my dad is rather iconic. Besides, he wants to see Lynda Carter of Wonder Woman fame do her one-woman show in DC for St. Paddy's Day, and we can't miss that, now can we? 😊

- Dot Calm's shadow
P.S.--I have been updating Dot Calm's M00bies from the Resistance in order to keep telling our story even if not in my own words. I screen 'em and put 'em all in one place so you don't have to--such a deal!