Sunday, July 10, 2011

The People Speak

Last night I watched a DVD of The People Speak. It was long and I watched the scenes at the end that were shown as a bonus. I couldn’t stop watching...and, did I mention that it was long? To make a long story even longer, I didn’t get to bed until the wee hours of the morning...a departure for me since nothing holds my interest for more than a nanosecond these days.

As daylight peaked its head at around 5 o'clock this morning I was crawling into bed telling myself not to be surprised if I were wasted when I was supposed to be getting up.

It was well worth it! The People Speak is a must-see for any American. The video offers the viewer a compilation of Howard Zinn’s two best-selling books: A People’s History of the United States (first published in 1980). Today People’s History remains one of the best-selling history books in the United States. (Betcha can’t find it in Texas.) 

The film features the actual words (in letters, songs, poems, speeches, and manifestos) of rebels, dissenters, and visionaries from our past  and present. Dramatic moments are brought to life by a group of remarkable musicians and actors.

Visit The People Speak.com for details.

   ***********************************************
   If there is no struggle,there is no progress. Power concedes
   nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.

                                                —Howard Zinn (1922–2010)
   ***********************************************