Tuesday, March 21, 2006

A word from Harry Reid…and a word from Dot Calm

“This past weekend, I continued my ‘Give 'Em Hell Harry Red State Tour’ heading to Texas, Arkansas, Georgia, and Pennsylvania.

“Today, I want to tell you what I saw in Arkansas.

“At the Hope Airport, there is a sea of 11,000 mobile homes set up for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. These dwellings are costing FEMA hundreds of millions of dollars; yet they remain empty even as thousands remain homeless. FEMA has been unable to use the trailers because regulations prohibit placing them in flood plains. Seeing those trailers, I was mystified, disappointed, and appalled. And this is just one example of dangerous mismanagement and costly incompetence.”

Senator Reid saw first hand the reckless waste and lack of coordination going into the Katrina response. He saw how people are suffering from the unwillingness or inability of the Bush administration to protect them or provide for their basic needs. He knows how much money is being pork-barreled into no-bid contracts for Bush-buddy contractors like Halliburton. He knows that the Republican majority is absolutely delighted with how things are going — they wouldn’t have it any other way.

I know a few things, too.

I know that, despite Senator Reid’s nice words, Americans can’t rely on the Democratic party to uphold its role as opposition or at least check and balance to the steamrolling Republicans. I know that the only thing that seems to have any effect these days is vociferous and voluminous public protest. So I’m asking you, my fellow Americans, to follow my lead and write, fax, e-mail, and call your elected officials to set things right for the Gulf Coast victims of Katrina and Rita. Stop by their offices and let them know in person how you feel — even better, get a group of your friends and neighbors together and visit your Senators’ and Representatives’ offices en masse. Our government must stop the cronyism and start showing some compassion for the people for a change. And we must continue to donate and volunteer all we can to help our fellow Americans in their need.

Please see recent posts on my blog for where to send your donation.