Thursday, October 21, 2010

If You Remember Any Part of This, You're Old, too

Now keep in mind I was a little kid. My folks were among the first to have a TV. As I recall it was a teeny, weeny screen in a huge piece of furniture. We kids were allowed to sit around it while we had our dinner. My siblings (five at the time) and I were terrible eaters, so I guess our mother was glad to see us sit quietly as we ate our dinners to:

Screamin' Kids in the little black and white TV--

It's Howdy Doody Time!

Then us kids rapturously singing to the tune of: It's Howdy Doody Time ...along with the kids in the "Peanut Gallery."

It's Howdy Doody Time.

It's Howdy Doody Time.

Bob Smith and Howdy Do

Say Howdy Do to you.

Let's give a rousing cheer,

Cause Howdy Doody's here,

It's time to start the show,

So kids let's go!

Then Howdy Doody, Mr. Bluster, PinHead (all marionettes),
Oh, I forgot DillyDally...He was a marionette, too.
He worked for Mr. Bluster, who was always scolding him for being too slow.

Oh, I get it! That's why his name was DillyDally. Hey, I was a kid. Give me a break!

Uncle Bob, Princess SummerFallWinterSpring were real people, I think...

After the kids in the Peanut Gallery sang, "It's Howdy Doody time," the show would start and Howdy would get into all kinds of fixes with Mr. Bluster being the antagonist...the mess would always be resolved within the half hour...and, of course, it was all live!

My kids grew up to Sally Starr (Philadelphia)...remember her?